Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Mary Smiles Again

Hello everybody, This is Mary back from the dead I thought that was funny since it is almost Halloween. Guess what I've got the best Christmas, birthday, anniversary and any other occasion you can think of present "A NEW LIVER". Two weeks ago today after one year one week and fifteen days I got my Liver transplant and I am an amazingly different person not only do I think that so does everybody else.
Thanks to all of you and your prayers I have had the most successful experience. My doctors and nurses at UAB was sooooo good to me, when I went to the doctor for blood work Monday he said I made his day because I looked so much better than I had on Friday. The doctor came in to examine me and he kept looking for something at my stomach and I asked "what are you looking for" he answered I am looking for a drainage tube and he was so surprised that I had none, everyone comes home with at least one tube. I told him I am nothing like any of the others I am a fast track Liver Patient.
I have the best Christian friends any one could ever have. Guess what everybody the house is still clean and not messed up "YET" I am so lucky I would like to take a moment and be a little mushy. Without any of my friends I would not be this relaxed and I would feel like I needed to push myself to get well faster than I was really ready. All I can say is THANK YOU and I love you all so much.
I don't know what life was like after 5 because I would sleep so much before my transplant and now at 11 my eyes are just getting a little tired and I love being awake and just talking to my family and even friends, I am so happy and now there is a smile on my face almost all the time. I am back everyone me and my old self well really a new self.
When I came home I was so scared because my stomach was so sick all the time and I had lost 10 pounds since I had come home and the doctor took me off of my Cellcept and now my appetite has come back with a vengeance all I want to do is eat I can't even believe it. I have been saying I can't wait to really want to eat, because before I ate because I knew I had to eat and now my body has been craving food. Today I got up and had 2 scrambled eggs and two pieces of toast which is good for me because I usually don't want breakfast. And about 12 my stomach told me that I was hungry so Sally and I heated up some potato soup I ate a big bowl of it with lots of crackers and then Lee Ann brought some Butterbeans and fried potatoes and I ate some potatoes with Ketchup and that was delicious and after church Jeanette is sending us a plate from church and I am ready for the food.
I talked to little Jatkerias mom (I am not sure that I spelled the name yet) As I talked to her we got to talking about winter and she was saying Jatkeria didn't have any long sleeve pjs because they had to leave in such a hurry and she couldn't get things she needed. So Billy is going this weekend and buy her something warm she wears she said a size 4 toddler. Jatkeria's mom said they are all going to the Ronald McDonalds house real soon sometime this weekend and she was happy about that. The baby is doing great Everyone listen to this she got her staples out yesterday Monday and I have mine all the way up till Friday and I couldn't believe she got hers out I tried to get mine out again yesterday but he said no not till Friday, so I didn't say another word, so Friday is the day for me.
The doctor told me that my blood work went from 3. something to 19. something and he had never seen any blood work go so drastic I was concerned about what all that meant and I asked did this mean anything about rejection the Liver and he said no if a person rejects a liver they never make it home they reject it in the hospital, and he said if you reject a liver it's not because of the liver it is always because of infection he said infection causes rejection and that is why I am going to be very careful in the winter and for awhile I will have to stay inside because he said there is a lot of germs out there and it would be very easy for me to catch one because of my surgery site and. He said everything was going wonderfully not to worry about rejection and even if I did reject it there is so many other medicines left to use that he wouldn't even worry about it if it happened but he is confident that it will not happen so I left there happy as a lart whatever a lart is. My made up word.
I hope I have updated a little more and I will update some more later since I will have the time. I will be off work till after the first of the year because people have donated me enough days so I can stay at home as long as I can and recooperate
but i am sure i will be going back after the first and that may be half days for just a while I will wait and see and not be in a hurry, everyone I have enjoyed being at home and relaxing. You would think that I would be relaxed but before I had my surgery I would sleep a lot but I never got rested and I already feel better..
In Christian Love Mary Courington

12 friendly comments:

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled to hear that you are doing so well! Lots of hugs! Lisa

Kim said...

I am so happy for you! Our prayers have been answered!

Meredith said...

Hey Mary! I am so happy that you are doing well! I can't wait to see you! I hope that you continue getting better! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I am SO, SO happy for you! It is so good to hear that you are doing so well.

God is so good! :)

Love,
Erin

Crystal said...

I am so thankful that you are doing so well. God is so good. You're still in our prayers as you continue to recover. :)

Granna said...

What a great post. We are so thankful to God that all has gone so well. You are just my hero!

Katie said...

I always knew there was something special about you! We are so happy for you. Sorry we haven't been to visit. I have had a cold and have wanted to stay away. I am almost 100% and we will come see you soon. What do you want to eat? I will bring anything your heart desires.

lesliemcguirk said...

This is great news! I am happy to hear you are doing so well! :)

Anonymous said...

Mary, you made my day! You have been in my prayers! I believe you can now write a book! You can certainly be an encouragement to those that face what you have just experienced. What a blessed Christmas Eve we will have! Patsy

Jazz said...

Let me wipe my eyes really quick so I can see the computer screen..... ok, I'm back! (lol) Everytime I think about this experience I just cry! I am so glad that you are doing so well and staying up past 5pm! yay!! I get to have some "MOMMY TIME" and I love that! I love you mom and you are my inspiration!

Sydney & Bayley's Proud Mommy said...

Hey Mae! So glad to hear the update. Sorry we havent been to vitis but you dont want us around right now. THank goodness we stayed away right after surgery cause bay had a little cough that has ended up with me, Bay & Syd sick for almost 2 weeks now. We are finishing up our antibiotics next week so be expecting a visit soon! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Mary,

I am so thankful that you are doing so well. Please know that I will continue to keep you in my prayers. Enjoy that extra awake time, I'm sure your family is so very happy to have the extra time with you too!!

Keep smiling and getting stronger.